washington, d.c.-based wine, spirits & lifestyle writer / wine educator
Do's and Don't's for wine storage
- Do store wine on its side. The cork will remain wet, limiting oxidation.
- Don't store wine on top of your refrigerator or near your oven. It's just too warm.
- Do store your wine beween 55 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. A shelf on a cool basement is ideal, as would be a wine refrigerator.
- Do store your wine away from excess sunlight.
- Don't store your wine where there are a lot of vibrations. This will disturb the wine and age it before its time.
- Don't store wines with screw caps for any extended period of time. These should be drunk within six months to a year.
- Remember, the vast majority of the wine produced in the world is meant to be consumed within a year or two. So don't cellar everything--drink it and enjoy it!!!