Washington DC International Wine and Food Festival Recaps
This week, I'm going to be recapping some of the highlights of the DC Wine and Food Festival, which was held Saturday and Sunday at the Omni Hotel in DC. It was a phenomenal event, filled with wine tasting, delicious foods to sample, cooking demonstrations, wine seminars, and wine and lifestyle products.
Today's recap focuses on some of the food there:
* Curry Simple: www.currysimple.com. This company makes delicious curry sauces, packaged in foil bags, ranging from red, to green, to yellow, to masaman. One bag makes 8 or 9 servings--just add meat and/or vegetables, and spoon it on top of rice. They were giving out free samples at the show, and it was so fantastic that I just had to buy some.
* maxMERIDIA: www.maxmeridia.com sells Spanish spices such as Flor de Sal (sea salt) and pimenton (paprika), as well as olive oils and sherry vinegars. The Vintage Sherry Vinegar has moxie--you definitely need to like sour things to enjoy it, but I thought it was delicious. And the olive oils tasted pure, with a deep olive flavor. Simply delicious.
* American Lamb: www.americanlamb.com. Apparently, there is a movement to get more Americans to eat lamb from our own country. While this organization didn't have any samples, they did offer recipes and wine pairing tips for serving lamb.
* Ile de France Cheese: www.iledefrance.com. This company has long offered brie and goat cheese. At the show, they had samples of endive spears stuffed with herbed goat cheese, and sliced apples with Ile de France brie and lavender honey-nut topping. Mmmm...cheese.
* The Perfect Pita: www.theperfectpita.com. With 2 locations in Alexandria, and 1 in DC, the Perfect Pita is THE place to pick up fresh pitas and hummus, or to enjoy your favorite pita sandwich. They had wonderful samples of regular hummus, jalapeno, roasted red pepper, and black bean and cilantro, with the freshest pitas to go along with it.
* DeLoache Chocolate: www.delochoc.com. For "artfully crafted chocolate", including the ever-popular painted chocolate squares filled with ganaches, look no further than DeLoache Chocolate. They were offering samples of their milk and dark chocolate at the show, and both were delicious.
Next, we'll take a look at some of the wine-alternatives to beverages at the show....